Wednesday, February 6, 2008

THANK YOU...FATHER...






***********Acknowledgments************



Awrite, without creating anymore confusion about how someone is going to kill someone else...let me put it down clear and right.



Thank you Disha...(wait, I'm coming to it!) I think it was one of the days when everyone was practicing for the farewell. You, me Saumya and Taps were playing throwball remember?? that's when you came close to the throwball court net and said something like


"Mujhe is jail se bahar nikalo..."



It was just a line people...but I swear it, this whole story weaved out of it...



Bas!!! Now you know....saw 'Awwwww....'.....



Thank You Father.....



"Get me out of here! Damn you!" I cried as my father walked away...leaving me alone in that dingy jail..where I had been for the past one month. I was getting used to the aura, the feel of this stupid place, something I never wanted.
It was the last thing...the last thing I could have expected from him..my 'father'. Yeah right...fathers aren't supposed to be criminals...criminals to such an extent that they leave their own child in jail...that...was my father...

All the fine memories that I had of my childhood consisted only of ma and me. As a kid I always heard myself say that my father had been transferred abroad as an exports manager. I wish I had known...I wish ma had known and taken me away from the man who ruined me...
I perhaps would just be comforting myself if I say ma passed away...she was killed...by the same man who claimed to be my father.
A month back, one night when my father was on 'leave' and had come to meet us, two people entered our house. My father welcomed them. It was strange that he still knew people in India as he had been in Dubai for quite some years..
Anyway my mother served them tea while I sat there, carefully watching the two. They were dirty looking men, who looked like cokeheads to me. I was still studying them when my father told me to go inside. It was the strangest thing he had ever said to me. I obeyed him with suspicion. I went into my room and began to watch some silly movie when I heard my mother's shriek. I ran towards the living room, only to see one of the men fire a bullet into my mother's head....

It was the hardest moment I have ever known...as ma fell to the ground. I slowly advanced towards her, and sat beside her on the floor,while drops of blood surrounded me...
I was still lost and staring at her, and the only thing I saw her do was point a finger at my father...

This shook me, and as I began to understand what she meant, ma breathed her last...

She was gone, and the man who killed her was standing in front of me...i ran towards my father in revenge, but the two men held me.

"You bastard, you killed my mother!!...." i shouted, as my focus shifted towards the table, where i saw a bag full of pistols...and a photograph beside it...
"Dad...you..are a terrorist? You're killing the....you maniac! the Chief Minister!!!" I uttered as I tried to break free from them.
My father hadn't uttered a word till then. He finally spoke...
"Look Maya, this isn't something that I could have chatted with you about. It's business, and this is what I am...I think you need some time alone..." he said as he held me by my arm, "Your mother shouldn't have heard our talk... dont worry, no one will come to know of this..."

His words shocked me even more than the fact that he was a terrorist.
I shook his hand off me and gave him a tight slap.
"You're telling me to keep quite about this sin that you just did?? You call yourself human? You're insane!! This is the shit you've been upto in dubai... And you will pay for it..."
I walked towards the telephone, determined. I crossed ma's body in the way. But there wasn't time for me to cry at her death.... he would have to pay for what he did....and what he had been doing all these years...
I was about to pick up the receiver when something hit me hard on the head...and I fell to the floor.


It was the toughest night of my life....
I opened my eyes and saw myself in jail...
"What the hell am I doing here? Where's my father...he's a terrorist..." I screamed as a policeman slapped me hard.
"Shut up you bitch!" he said as he pulled my hair and I screamed in pain. "A woman who can kill her mother is a terrorist...not your father..."


It took me some time to sink in what he had said while he locked me up in the cell and went away.
before I could figure out what my father had done, I saw him come towards me.
As he stood across the bars...he said, "I'm sorry child...but it's business you see...you wouldn't listen...take care...I'm going to Dubai forever. Your mother is cremated at St.Paul's. I only wish your mother hadn't heard us talk about the Chief Minister..."

"Take me out of this place...you..." I cried as I saw the monster go away....
"Hey! You bastard! Get me out...you cant do this!!!"

When I realised that he wouldnt turn back, I stopped....and for the first time in twenty-four hours I cried...at my father's betrayal, at ma's death....at myself....

This wasnt exactly the life a father wishes for a daughter....

As I put myself together and sat on the jail bench, the policeman came back and said, "Fourteen years...but had I been judge, you should have been hung..."

I smiled to him and said, "I wish you were judge....."

As he gave me a disgusted look, i poured myself a glass of water from the jug kept aside me...

A month later, he came to meet me again...saying that he was leaving...
That's when I saw him last, and the last time I said, "Get me out of here! Damn you..."

*******************

13 comments:

Vasudha said...

I smiled to him and said, "I wish you were the judge....."


:) I really like this line. Just expresses so much in six words.
Great one!

Nik said...

i was about to quote the same line.. vasudha beat me to it.
good post. it for some reason made me think of the stranger.

P@LL@\/! said...

wow...dats so kewl...jus shows how sensitv u r...i mean so touchin..1 of ur best..

Disha said...

OH MY GOD.


Just one question,
HOW?!

No wait, two more,
WHY!?
HUH!!?

Unknown said...

omg
abby ur like the most awesome writer ive ever come across!!!

this was so cool...it wasnt at all long n borin like u said!!

hurry up n write more..ur blogs are fun!

mwah! ur the best!

Abhilasha said...

dish: Chill mar yaar...now u knoe the reason...

Abhilasha said...

sukham: thank you sweety...muah!! i couldnt have got a sweeter fried ;)))

Vasudha said...

*says,"Awwww"*

:P

Clear as day now. :)

Abhilasha said...

vasu:hmm...finally!!

Anonymous said...

Me too @ Vasudha.Amazing line.Amazing whole post in fact.:)
And you're one of the very few people who actually deserve to be in CE.Keep writing.Would love to read more.

P.S:-@Dish:Tum jail mein kyu ho?:O

Abhilasha said...

thnx prerna...that's some real good compliment...although ce doesnt value me that much...neway..i wont stop till i die...

¶ЯёŖηΛ said...

CE can never do anything sensible as lond as ****I continues to dominate it.:|

Abhilasha said...

i got u sweety...i have a worse experience with her than any one of u does...i dont understand, when people dont write, why d hell are they in ce???