Sunday, May 4, 2008

Anything for you, sir...

When he walked into the class that day, his face seemed dull and he lacked his usual bright aura. I was perhaps the only one to notice it because the other students didn't bother to.
They had it straight in their head. He was a teacher. Them, students.
As I shrugged my shoulders at the thought, I looked at him intensely. Something was wrong.

I knew my sir more than anyone in the class did. And his lectures were more than just knowledge for me. They felt divine. If at all anything felt good about books and studies, it was his presence.
He was my favorite teacher, no doubt. Anyway, there were better things to think about…as he was more than that to me.
As he bragged on about resonance in benzene, I noticed he was sweating profusely. He hurriedly wiped it all off his face, and looked at me apprehensively.
Something was disturbing him terribly. And this was troubling me terribly.


I thought of the extra class I had arranged with him last week. It was just me and him. He taught, I listened. I talked, he listened. That day, I had poured out all my life’s conflicts in front of him. He seemed interested. He was perhaps the confidante for whom I had longed all this while.
He was more than a teacher. This much was clear.

But I didn't want to know any better.

Ignorance is bliss, they say.

When he looked at me again that day, his moist eyes gave away. He wanted to tell me something. I tried hard to read through, but sadly couldn’t.
This disturbed me, and so I decided to divert my attention to atoms and molecules.
Chemistry…was what he taught. And today, nothing seemed as interesting as it did.

I pretended to be deeply engrossed in my notebook as he gave the class a sum and walked round the class.

He was old, I reckoned. He was married, I knew. And he wasn’t exactly good looking either, I admitted. Yet, something drew me to him. What -- was a big question better left unanswered.

He stopped at my table, where I sat, lost in these thoughts.

No, I won't look up, I decided.

I don’t know why I did this. But I didn't want to look into those eyes, whose language I couldn’t decipher.

Anyway, I mechanically repeated to myself that he was a teacher, and I- just his student.
It didn't help. Damn.

An hour passed away, ad he still continued to talk about benzene and phenol and naphthalene. Some time later, he glanced at his watch. A Rolex, I recalled, as I had noticed during that memorable extra class.
He then glanced at me.
In an attempt to ignore him, I too glanced at my watch, and realized that the class was almost over.
He put back the chalk on the table, looked at the class and said:
“This will be my last class with you. I am getting transferred immediately to the other branch. Good luck, may god be with you in all you do.”

My heart skipped a beat as he looked at me for a nanosecond and then walked away.

Those eyes…I wish I had deciphered.



Drat. This couldn’t be love.

20 comments:

Disha said...

I really, really like it.
It reminds me of something I've read somewhere :|
But the idea is super original and I like everything you write.. because you make it seem so.. simple yet so elegant..
Yknow what I mean?
<3
=]

Radhika Saxena said...

omg!!! did this happen?? he went away..AWWWWWWW>>>>i'm so sorrryyyy... :(
touched my heart,right through..man,he musta rly been more than a teacher to you!

Akanksha said...

I REALLY REALLY liked it!!It was straight from your heart and it showed:-)

I think u are better at expressing your own feelings than putting yourself in someones shoes and trying to exrpress their thoughts. It held my attention more then all your other articles.
If this is what you are REALLY feeling right now,then i hope you overcome this phase soon:-)

Abhilasha said...

dish : awww...yes, i alwaz know what u mean...mwah (uh, i' will not say mwah again...)

radhika: na man, he didnt go away...lol, just the writer's licence i have...

akanksha: hmm...there i got some good advice...thanks! *hi5*

Nik said...

Fine, I'll comment. hmmff

It's a good piece of writing. It flows well.
Written with simplicity but that's the beauty of it.

Abhilasha said...

nik : that's called some decncy....LOL
thank you...
and that's called formality!!!

Tushar Mangl said...

Very intresting piece i have read after a long time. This happens so much in routine, yet very few can pen it down, in such well written form as you have. *Sigh* Reminds me of a friend who had fallen for her teacher
and vice versa kinda thing.
God bless all such teen souls
:-)

Anonymous said...

Much better than the last one. It's tighter and the pace is right.

//As he bragged on about resonance in benzene//

Bragged doesn't exactly fit the sentence, doesn't quite convey what I presume you're trying to convey.

And the last sentence spoils the whole effect. You should scrap it in my opinion.

Good work overall. I liked it.

Shailja said...

Nice! Reminded me of Pallavi. Deja vu?

Radhika Saxena said...

i updated! go check! incase you don't understand stuff,read vasu's or nangia's blog :)

Abhilasha said...

tshhar: awww...i'm all obliged n stuff...i know, it's really sad wen that happens...but hey, that's love!

bharat: i accept all u said positively!
Except for the last line...it's the main essence of my post...i'm sorry, i wont be scrapping it out...:|

Shailja: oh thanks, pallavi's story is something that never came to my mind when i wrote this...gud, u reminded me of it...

Radhika: i met vasu (i'm sorry if i pronounced it wrong vas..), she told me about it...i'll be readin it soon!

Anonymous said...

It's pretty clear all throughout the story that the last sentence is what you're driving at. You don't have to explicitly mention it, the story will have greater impact if you don't say it in as many words. Just my opinion. :/

Abhilasha said...

bharat: okay...ur opinion...

¶ЯёŖηΛ said...

The best thing about your writing is that you take simple instances from daily life and put them forth so beautifully!
I <3 it!

And I agree with Bharat regarding the last sentence.
I suggest its removal.
But its your piece after all.You have all the rights to keep it.:)

Abhilasha said...

prerna: hmmm...you're right you know..its my piece of work...and entirely my wish too...:P
khair...thaaannnkkuuu!!!

kika said...

it was really nice...
like, i really sat down and read the whole thing in one go...
captivating...

Abhilasha said...

kika: aww...thank you! it's always nice to know that ppl like what you write..
:-)

Abhilasha said...

kika: aww...thank you! it's always nice to know that ppl like what you write..
:-)

Miriam said...

Really lovely!!! Loved the way the words flew around..... :) :)

Abhilasha said...

miriam: thanks....btw, how did words 'fly' around???